Thursday, January 6, 2011

Vegetables stuffed whole wheat Indian bread | Vegetable Paratha | Healthy Parantha Recipe

Late last year, I invested in a mini chopper & I have been using it tremendously since then. I have to still learn the art of slicing, grating & whipping using the chopper, but mincing is so much easier. I hide all the vegetables for my son & he happily eats the vegetables. It is only color-color dosa & rang bhi rangi rotti(colorful Indian bread) for him these days.

The chopper has made my work a lot easier when it comes to make parathas. Cauliflower, broccoli takes seconds to be minced. I used the same chopper to make this vegetable paratha. We all love these vegetable parathas & are currently addicted to them. 


Ingredients: (Makes around 8 parathas)
For dough:
Whole wheat flour/atta: 1.5 cups
Warm water: Around 3/th cup
Salt 1/2 tsp
Oil: 1.5 tsp

For stuffing:
Beetroot: 1 small piece (skinned)
Ginger: 1 inch piece
Carrot: 1 medium sized
Chow chow: 1 small piece(skinned)
Cucumber: 2 inch piece
Potato: 1 medium (skinned)
Green chilli : 2 nos
Salt: According to taste

Other ingredients: 
Whole wheat flour: for dusting
Oil: 1 tsp for shallow frying each paratha
Butter: 1 dollop on each paratha (optional, for serving)

Method:
For the dough:
Mix all the ingredients mentioned & make a smooth pliable dough. Let it rest for 60mins.

For parathas:

  • Grate all the ingredients mentioned for the stuffing. Mix them. (I minced them using my chopper. Super fast & perfectly done). Add salt. Squeeze out as much as water possible from the vegetables.


  • Knead the dough again & make 8 balls (approximately). 
  • Roll each ball a little & put a tbsp of stuffing in the center of the rolled dough. 


  • Cover the stuffing with the dough & seal the edges (refer to picture below)


  • Dust the stuffed ball & roll them into 7 inch diameter circle. 


  • Heat a griddle. When griddle is hot, place the rolled paratha & shallow fry both sides on a medium-high flame. 
  • Repeat the above steps for the remaining dough balls. 
  • Serve it with a dollop of butter on top of paratha & a side dish of your choice. 


Notes:

  • I have used most of the vegetables available at hand to make this paratha, like broccoli, cauliflower, cabbage, peas, capsicum, onion, raddish. Try to flavor the vegetables with roasted cumin seeds or ginger or chaat masala etc. Believe any combination of vegetables with a nice flavor makes it a hit at home. 
  • Always remember to cook the paratha on a medium high heat. If you cook the paratha on a slow flame, they turn hard. 
  • Squeeze out as much as water possible from the vegetables before stuffing them.
  • Parathas could be rolled thick or thin. We prefer our parathas on a thinner side. Hence, I roll it as thin as possible.
  • More the butter, more the better ;)

13 comments:

  1. I would love to eat this colourful paratha too sush...looks yum..

    ReplyDelete
  2. If nothing strikes to my mind abt wat 2 cook,the immediate option is paratha for me..I will make it with what ever is available in my pantry at that moment..:)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thats so healthy Paratha,luks very colourful and eye catchy.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This one is a cool idea! All veggies.. Never thought of it before :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Tasty and beautiful..tempting and eye catchy.

    ReplyDelete
  6. tasty n yummy paratha....frst tme here..lov ur space..glad to foollow u!

    http://subhieskitchen.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great way to include all veggies in chapathi. Looks yumm

    ReplyDelete
  8. I wanted to try this for a long time,using wheat flour is healthier choice,I was keeping maida in my mind,now changed ;)

    ReplyDelete
  9. I follow your blog. I stay in Singapore. I would be happy if you share the chopper details. I want to buy one.
    THANKS,
    Shruthi.A

    ReplyDelete
  10. Nice way to have all the vegetables, it looks so yum

    ReplyDelete
  11. Healthy and delicious parathas.

    ReplyDelete

Hi,

Thanks for visiting 'Savi-Ruchi'. I would try my best to update the blog with new & interesting recipes.
Hope you had nice time in my blog & feel free to share your comments.
Visit Again!!

Featured Post

Noodles and Vegetables with Honey Ginger Sauce

Am I the only one who crave for noodles when sick with cold and sore throat? I love this noodles with honey-ginger sauce and it is perfe...