Monday, April 26, 2010

Open Semolina Sandwich

I owe the concept of this recipe to Purva. The day I saw her recipe, I was sure to try it out. I am preparing this from almost 10 months & each time I prepare this.., we all relish it thoroughly.  This is a great option for weekend brunch. You can see her recipe here. Here is my version of the same.
 

Ingredients: (For 8 slices)

Bread slices: 8 (I use whole wheat bread, but will taste great with white bread too)
Finely chopped vegetables: 1.5 cups (I used shredded carrots, green & yellow capsicum, grated paneer, sweet corn kernels, onion & tomato)
Chiroti Rava/Small semolina: 2 tbsp
Thick Yogurt: 2 tbsp
Cilantro/Coriander leaves: 1 tsp (finely chopped) (optional)
Red chilli powder: 1 tsp (adjust accordingly)
Chaat masala: ¼ tsp (optional)
Italian dried herbs: 1 tsp (optional)
Rock salt: a big pinch (optional)
Salt: According to taste
Mozzarella cheese (shredded): 1 tsp for each slice
Butter: 1tsp for each slice

Method:
1. Combine the vegetables, semolina, Italian herbs, red chilli powder, chaat masala, rock salt, salt & yogurt in a large bowl.  Mix them well. (If needed, add few drops of water).
2. The mixture should look like a cutlet batter. See picture below.

3. Take a slice of bread & smear butter on both the sides. Spread the cheese on one side of the bread. To the same side, spread a tablespoon of vegetable-semolina mixture.
4. Heat the griddle. When griddle is hot, place the slice of bread. (Note: The vegetable-semolina mixture must be on top). Cover the griddle & cook on a low heat for a minute. Flip the bread & again cook for 30-45secs.
5. Repeat the procedure 3 & 4 for all the remaining slices of bread.
6. Serve it hot with a dip/sauce of your choice.
 Notes:
  • This sandwich is very flexible. Throw in whatever spices you need or just make it plain without any spices. It tastes great however you prepare it.
  • Red chilli powder could be replaced with finely chopped green chillies or even be skipped!
  • I am planning to prepare it with grated paneer only next time. Will let you all know the result.
Lastly, I have received awards from Suhaina of SingaporeKitchen. Phew.., I am again late in accepting & publishing the awards. Thanks a lot dear. It means a lot. I have mentioned more about me here. I will display the awards in side bar.

13 comments:

  1. Praniskitchen commented..
    The semolina sandwich looks delicious..u have added almost vegetables, very healthy one..nice picture too good job yarr.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lovely way to eat all the vegetables and using semolina must be made it crispy white toasting the bread...wow looks awesome, loved the filling..worth giving a try soon...thanks for sharing sush

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hmmm... Yummy! Yummy! cries my tummy... Very new stuffing..... Loved the look of those fresh veggies..... On the whole awesome prep..... very adorable..... sure to be a winner with kids....

    Ash...
    (http://asha-oceanichope.blogspot.com/)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow this sandwich sounds interesting and very inviting..

    ReplyDelete
  5. A delightful version of sandwich,loved it. Click is too tempting and u made me crave for some now:)

    ReplyDelete
  6. heyy...came here through A and N's blog. The semolina open faced sandwich is such an awesome idea!! Great blog too, btw! :) Following you.

    ReplyDelete
  7. yummy snack...so colourful and healthy..

    ReplyDelete
  8. Looks healthy & delicious.Hmm yum yum.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Love this idea,am sure I will try this out very soon coz I love semolina :) Lovely pics!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Creative recipe, looks so tasty

    ReplyDelete
  11. Noodidre tegedu tinnonna ansuthe. My search for today evening snack stops here :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. love this one..tomorrow for lunch..bookmarked..

    ReplyDelete

Hi,

Thanks for visiting 'Savi-Ruchi'. I would try my best to update the blog with new & interesting recipes.
Hope you had nice time in my blog & feel free to share your comments.
Visit Again!!

Featured Post

Noodles and Vegetables with Honey Ginger Sauce

Am I the only one who crave for noodles when sick with cold and sore throat? I love this noodles with honey-ginger sauce and it is perfe...