Saturday, November 7, 2009

Spanish Rice: My version

I am one of those nuts who watch all cookery shows without a book & pen in hand. I just enjoy watching the show. Sometimes, few dishes attract me soo much that I start memorizing the ingredients & prepare it on the same day or the very next day. I note the ingredients in a small chit & prepare it.. One can see soo many such chits floating in my home; hubby keeps wondering as to what those chits are for!!

Spanish rice is one such dish I saw in Zee Kannada Channel. I found it to be a very simple dish. It was prepared the very next day at my home & since then this recipe is treasured in my list. Cook it & relish it to believe me. It is very tasty & filling.

Ingredients:

Long grain rice: 3 cups (I used basmati)
Water : 6 cups
Onion: 1/2 cup (finely chopped)
Capsicum: 1/2 to 3/4th cup ( chopped into 1 inch cubes)
Tomato paste: 1 tbsp
Garlic: 2 tbsp (finely chopped)
Red chilli: 8-10 (adjust according to your needs)
Cheddar cheese: 3tbsp (grated)
Butter: 1 tbsp
Cilantro: 2tbsp (finely chopped)
Lemon juice: 1 tsp (optional)
Parmesan Cheese: a big pinch (for garnishing, optional)


Method:
  1. Wash the rice 2-3 times in running water & cook it by adding 6 cups of water. Allow it to cool.
  2. After the rice is warm, spread the rice & let it cool completely.
  3. Meantime, make a fine paste of red chillies & garlic. Add a tbsp of water if required while grinding.
  4. Heat the butter in a broad pan, when butter is hot, add onions & saute till turn soft (need not wait for it to turn golden brown). Add capsicum & cook it on a medium-high heat for 2 mins.
  5. Add the chilli-garlic paste, tomato paste & saute for a minute.
  6. Add the cooked rice, salt, cheese, mix well & cook till the cheese melts.
  7. Add lemon juice, mix & garnish it with cilantro
  8. Serve it hot/warm with wafers or papad

Awards:

Asha of "Asra Ashaon Ka"has showered me with a lot of awards. Thanks a lot Asha. It means a lot. Here is a quick peek into the awards.I'll put them soon in my sidebar too.






17 comments:

  1. wow sush that looks mouthwatering..never had this recipe, thanks for sharing...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Sush, the rice looks really inviting,flavourful and has a nice color. The best part does not sound too complicated.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lovely colour, looks superb...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi
    Even I watched the show! but thinking that it is very simple I just forgot it. Now after seeing the photo here, I feel even though it is simple but looks very tempting. I will try soon.
    Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  5. The spanish rice looks yum colourful and tempting.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Eye pleasing spanish rice!!delectable dish..

    ReplyDelete
  7. Looks so colorful and delicious. And congrats on all the awards dear.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Dear Sush
    I am a regular follower of your blog.
    Now I have found out the meaning of ANISIKEGALU. Earlier I could not post a comment. This a very different dish and I liked it.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Its tempting & wants me to prepare it...but we are not so into cheese....so I would try without it...Very colorful... It has the schezuan feel & look...

    Will try soon....

    Ash....
    (http://asha-oceanichope.blogspot.com/)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Rice looks delicious !New to me .Do visit http://padhuskitchen.blogspot.com/
    when time permits

    ReplyDelete
  11. LOvely rice & congrats on your awards.

    ReplyDelete
  12. ha ha..Even I m under that category..NUTS...haha
    Lovely n colorful rice..

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hi Sushma,
    LLLLLLLol...nanu saha hage ne ri ;) S calls me chitti chitti bang bang when he finds my recipe chits here and there ...lol
    U knw am crazy for cookery shows too I watch the ones in marathi, gujarthi, and sometimes tamil...though I dont understand the languages...I come to know of it by watching closely :)...lol crazy alwa!
    Neways ...super recipe ri, vomme try madbeku...I like the addition on cheese in the rice :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. looks sooo delicious and colorful. Yum!!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Lovely rice.Congrats on ur awards

    ReplyDelete
  16. Hola amigo, soy español y le aseguro que ese arroz ni ninguno parecido se cocina en España.

    Saludos.

    ReplyDelete

Hi,

Thanks for visiting 'Savi-Ruchi'. I would try my best to update the blog with new & interesting recipes.
Hope you had nice time in my blog & feel free to share your comments.
Visit Again!!

Featured Post

Noodles and Vegetables with Honey Ginger Sauce

Am I the only one who crave for noodles when sick with cold and sore throat? I love this noodles with honey-ginger sauce and it is perfe...