Tuesday, September 22, 2009

Black eyed peas 'N' pasta

Do you remember my project "shifting the house"? I had mentioned about black eyed peas starring at me in my cupboard. During that time, I was eagarly searching for black eyed peas recipes as I had almost a kilo of dried peas. During the active search, I found a recipe here. I adapted the recipe to make it suitable for Indian taste buds. Voila!!, it tasted awesome. One of the best pastas I prepared & relished until now. My hubby happened to carry that pasta to office & I got a huge fan following for black eyed peas 'N' pasta.

Secret, secret..., we both (who else other than me & my hubby) have stranger anxiety. We don't want to try anything other than penne(because of their funny shapes). So, all my pasta recipes use penne only. I am planning to try macaroni soon. I am not sure whether it will be accepted or not.


This is what I used:

Black eyed peas: 2 cups
Penne: 500gms
Tomato puree: 2 cups
Onion: 1 cup (sliced)
Parmesan Cheese: 3 tbsp (optional)
Pasta herbs: 1 tbsp
Garlic: 3 pods
Capsicum: 2 cups (sliced)
Paprika: 1 tsp
Pepper powder: 1 tbsp
Salt: According to taste
Sugar: 1 tbsp
Butter: 4 tbsp
Olive oil: 3 tbsp
Coriander leaves : 3 tbsp (finely chopped)

Method:
  • Soak the black eyed peas for 5-6 hours.
  • Add little salt & pressure cook or boil the black eyed beans until soft & yet firm (It would take around 3 whistles in the cooker). Allow it to cool & drain the water from the peas.
  • Cook the pasta as per the package instructions. ( I add 3-4 litres of water(for 500gms penne), salt & few drops of olive oil & allow the water to boil.When water starts boiling, add penne & cook on medium-high heat for 10-15minutes, until soft & firm. Refer to the tip here to find out when pasta is properly cooked).
  • Drain the water from penne & add few drops of olive oil. Olive oil helps in keeping the penne seperate & the pasta doesnot stick to each other.
  • Heat olive oil, butter in a broad pan/wok. When oil is hot, add garlic, onion & saute till they turn golden brown. Add tomato puree, pasta herbs, sugar, paprika, salt(be very careful when adding salt as we have already salt while cooking penne & black eyed peas).& cook on a medium flame. The raw smell of tomato should disappear & the sauce must become thick.
  • During midway, add capsicum & keep heating the sauce. When capsicum is half cooked, add cooked black eyed peas, cheese & reduce the heat. Cook for another minute or two. Add pepper powder.
  • Toss the pasta with the sauce, garnish with coriander leaves & dig in.

Last but not the least, I have got quite a few awards from my friends. Sorry..I missed announcing them in last couple of posts. Thanks a lot Jyothi & Sushma. I have put the awards on the sidebar. I will talk about "The honest things" in my next post. Keep waiting !!

Update: This recipe goes to MLLA hosted by Sia & started by Susan.

21 comments:

  1. It's yummy..........the click is good................

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lovely click...Never thought of using black eyed peas for pasta...Nice idea sush....

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi! Interesting combo dear.Makes a very healthy lunch/tiffin item.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Its accepted in my alley atleast...very healthy

    ReplyDelete
  5. A new combination and a healthier one!

    ReplyDelete
  6. wat a lovely combo dear...a complete wholesome meal

    ReplyDelete
  7. Delicious combination and such a healthy pasta dish..

    ReplyDelete
  8. Very healthy dish ! looks yumm

    ReplyDelete
  9. We usually use black eyed beans in various combos.......since they are relished by me and my hubby.....will try this lovely combo of beans and pasta next time...thanks for sharing

    ReplyDelete
  10. Nice click... never tried using black eye peas in pasta... spunds interesting and will it try it out sometime and let u know... looks very tempting :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Wonderful idea! Never tried this combo before!

    ReplyDelete
  12. very interesting recipe..looks yumm...

    ReplyDelete
  13. Wow.. this is absolutely interesting and yummy :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Wow...that's an yum combo...never had this before....looks extremely scrumptious....

    ReplyDelete
  15. I always use green peas when i cook penne pasta..Black eyed peas sounds great and looks delicious.. Hmm next i will try your recipe..

    ReplyDelete
  16. I love trying new kinds of pasta! This one looks like a good one!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Happy Vijaydashami /Dasara to you and your family.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Pasta looks yummy! you have a beutiful site

    ReplyDelete

Hi,

Thanks for visiting 'Savi-Ruchi'. I would try my best to update the blog with new & interesting recipes.
Hope you had nice time in my blog & feel free to share your comments.
Visit Again!!

Featured Post

Noodles and Vegetables with Honey Ginger Sauce

Am I the only one who crave for noodles when sick with cold and sore throat? I love this noodles with honey-ginger sauce and it is perfe...