Sunday, March 22, 2009

Mangalore Buns

This incident happened in Oct'2007. Every year on the Durgastami festival day(8th day of Navaratri) we perform Durga homa(prayers) at a temple near Hebri, Udupi District, Karnataka. Entire family members would manage to go for that festival. As my hubby was on travel, myself, my son, my brother-in-law & my brother traveled together from Bangalore. My mom, mom-in-law, co-sister & others managed to come early in the morning from Mysore. We took a bus previous evening at around 7:30p.m, as we wanted to reach as early as possible. The journey was around 8-9hours & we had anticipated a "traffic jam" in the ghats (curvy roads) of 1-2 hours.

Our bus got punctured near Hassan & we spent 2 hours there & after that, there was a jam in the Charmadi Ghats for just 5 hours or so.(My son was just 1 year then & God knows how I handled him alone for 18 hours in the bus). Though I had carried formula, warm water for my son, he did not want milk. It was around 10a.m & our bus stopped in a small food joint (Bhatra hotel), near Dharmastala, Karnataka. The entire bus jumped in as if they have not eaten anything for decades. All the dishes in that small food joint got over in no time. My son being very slow in eating didnot get anything to eat. The cook cum server cum cashier of that small food joint said, he would prepare couple of buns for my son. Our bus driver was kind enough to wait for 10mins more for us. The chef(?!) cooked in a jiffy & parceled buns for my son. I was worried if my son would really eat that as I had not given him any fried food till then. But, he surprised me by eating a little more than one buns. (It could be because, he was very hungry or because actually did enjoy eating buns). We reached the temple at 1.30 pm and my son ate the same cold buns for afternoon lunch too :)

This was my son's first experience on buns & whenever I prepare buns, I whole heartedly thank that small food joint so much. Though I didnot get the breakfast, being a typical Indian mom & Indian women, I was happy that my son didnot starve. This incident always reminds me that howmuch ever money you earn & how much ever bread you have at your home, it sometimes becomes very difficult to get food.

Now a bit of information about Buns:
Mangalore Buns, popularly known as Buns, is a specialty of Mangalore / Udupi region, of Karnataka. All small to big restaurants in Mangalore & nearby places serve this as evening snack or morning breakfast. Whenever we get a chance to visit small “bhatra hotel” (small food joints), we not only hog at buns, but also get it parceled to eat in the next couple of days.

Ingredients:


2 cups all purpose flour/maida
1 cup wheat flour/atta/godi hittu
½ cup curd (should be little sour)
4-5tbsp sugar
A generous pinch of salt
2 well ripened medium sized bananas or approximately 3/4th cup mashed banana
½ tsp baking soda
Oil for deep frying
Other ingredients
Wheat flour for dusting

Method:

  • Sieve the flours, mix them. Mash the bananas thoroughly.
  • Add all the above ingredients mentioned (except oil used for deep frying), prepare a stiff dough (add water if required). Knead the dough well, cover & keep it aside for 5-6hours.
  • Heat oil in a broad pan. Make ping pong sized balls with the dough, roll it with a rolling pin by dusting dry flour. Roll the dough, a little thicker than the normal pooris.
  • Check the oil, oil should be really hot to fry the buns. Deep fry the buns on both sides.
  • Serve it hot with spicy coconut chutney or as is.

PS:

  • While preparing the dough, don’t pour more water in the beginning, the water contents in banana + curd would be sufficient most of the times. If the dough becomes very hard, then add few drops of water at a time to prepare stiff dough.
  • The dough will ooze out little water during the soaking time, hence the dough becomes soft after the soak time of 5-6 hours.
  • Rolled out buns should be thicker than normal poori.
  • One can reduce or increase the sugar according to their choice, but note that the specialty of buns is because of its sweetish taste.


Blog Events:
SWC-Meals on Wheels, started & hosted by Lakshmi of Taste Of Mysore. This can be easily stored for 2-3 days & a wonderful snack along with coffee/tea.

22 comments:

  1. We do something similar for Holi (no madia, curd etc)...I just love this....gud one dear

    ReplyDelete
  2. I made them Jackfruit and tasted awesome dear. Thanks for sending them to my event.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, I've eaten these buns! And I love them too. Tx!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow, love this buns, my mom used to make this always, spl for me !!
    Looks so spongy an nice.. Great entry !!

    ReplyDelete
  5. wow! I love it completely...u made me nostalgic with those pic... Amma makes them too! I haven't made them at my place...looking at ur pics I am tempted to make it sometime soon.Thanks dearie :)
    TC

    ReplyDelete
  6. @Priti,
    Thanks a lot. Me thinking of sending it to Holi Hai Event, let me check again :)

    @LG,
    pleasure is mine Lakshmi

    @A_and_N,
    Thanks a lot for the lovely comments.

    @Archy,
    my mom-in-law makes this once a while. Even I love eating them along with coffee.
    Thanks for your comments.

    @Suparna,
    It is not that tough to prepare buns. The soaking of the dough is very important for spongy & soft buns. Do try & let me know :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi,
    i liked your blog very much - must say lots of chit-chat interesting to read followed by yummy recipes.
    These mangalore buns is one of my favourite and my mom prepares these as evening snack.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I have eaten buns too & like it quite a bit ..

    ReplyDelete
  9. Never heard of such buns here in this part of mumbai,but would surely love to hunt around for some,coz it sounds so lovely
    But on another note,why not try it out for myself,since it doesn't involve any baking,and i have this recipe of yours too ,to guide me
    Thnks for sharing :-)

    ReplyDelete
  10. i made these too, but i guess here's the real deal!

    ReplyDelete
  11. That's exactly how I like my plate of buns, with some chutney and some hot tea..Yumm.

    ReplyDelete
  12. wow ! nice recipe.. i had made exactaly same but maida :( not good hah! will try this next time :).

    ReplyDelete
  13. Yummy, would sure love to try those out:)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Love love these buns,I make these often.Tastes great!!

    ReplyDelete
  15. @Sharada,
    Thanks a lot for your appreciation. DO keep visiting my blog.

    @Deesha,
    Thanks for those lovely comments

    @Alka,
    You would surely find some of these buns in typical Udupi Style Restuarnts in Mumbai. Mumbai is a place that donot disappoint any foodie.
    As you said, you could easily prepare them to at home. Please do try & come back with your comments.

    @ Bindiya,
    Thank you for those inspirational comments.

    @Maya,
    My ideal plate would be "coffee" replaced with "tea" :)

    @Mangala Bhat,
    Next time, I'm thinking of experimenting with wheat flour. Will let you know the results.

    @Smitha,
    Do try & let me know Smitha.

    @Pavithra,
    Thanks for your comments.

    ReplyDelete
  16. buns look so tempting Sushma! Yummy!

    ReplyDelete
  17. @Uma & Prathibha,
    Thanks a lot

    ReplyDelete
  18. I visited your blog for the first time and I liked your blog very much... found some very interesting recipes :)

    ReplyDelete
  19. hi, this is the my first time in ur blog, u have a lovely blog here with interesting recipes, i came into ur blog through SWC of Lakshmi's, I was wondering what mangalore buns are!!, it is really very good one must try. The most interesting thing was the narrative about ur trip!!, I too have visited this temple and gave a saree to the God, I went in the night and it was quite scary that place but in the morning i felt a little better, what remote place it is!!! and what a coincidence, I had never thought somebody would have visited that place...

    ReplyDelete
  20. This is my first post I'd like to thank you for such a great made site!
    Was thinking this is a perfect way to introduce myself!

    Sincerely,
    Hilary Driscoll
    if you're ever bored check out my site!
    [url=http://www.partyopedia.com/articles/mardi-gras-party-supplies.html]mardi gras Party Supplies[/url].

    ReplyDelete

Hi,

Thanks for visiting 'Savi-Ruchi'. I would try my best to update the blog with new & interesting recipes.
Hope you had nice time in my blog & feel free to share your comments.
Visit Again!!

Featured Post

Noodles and Vegetables with Honey Ginger Sauce

Am I the only one who crave for noodles when sick with cold and sore throat? I love this noodles with honey-ginger sauce and it is perfe...