Tuesday, December 16, 2008

Halasina Appa (Jackfruit appa)

Though my native is not south canara, I am influenced by South Canara recipes so much that people keep asking me whether I am from Mangalore/Udupi. I am from Chikmagalur (Karnataka, India) & my husband is from South Canara (Udupi). This is how I came under the influence of south canara recipes & I have learnt all these recipes after my wedding. I have learnt these from my mom-in-law, my hubby's relatives, my co-sister and so on. But, whenever I visit his village, I feel, I know nothing about south canara recipes.
Ok, here is the recipe of another south canara delicacy passed over to me on phone :)

Ingredients:
2 cups jackfruit deseeded & finely chopped
2 cups raw rice
¾ cup jaggery/brown sugar
¼ cup grated coconut
1 pinch salt
1 medium pinch of baking soda
1 tbsp oil

Method:

  • Soak the rice in warm water for about 3-4 hours.
  • Grind the rice, jackfruit & jiggery. The batter should be of dropping consistency (like normal idli batter).
  • Let the batter rest for 2 hours.
  • Add baking soda, salt & mix well. Add 2-3 drops of oil to the mould, pour spoonful of batter on to the paddu/guliyappa/gundpongalu mould & cook on a slow flame on both sides until each side turns golden brown.

Variation: This batter can be used for preparing deep fried appas too. Just make the batter little thick & pour spoonful of batter in hot oil & deep fry till it turns golden brown

2 comments:

  1. Hi Sushma!
    Neevu Chikmaglur navara? Neev hako recipes nodi neevu south canara davarirbeku andkondidde..
    Anyways. Freezer nalli halasina kai pack ide.. I did not know what to do with it.. E week end, going to buy the paddu henchu. hopefully, will make it sometime this weekend or so!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks ri comment maadidhikhe. Neevu ill idhre kanditha kalsthayidhe. Naavu yavagana Singaporege bandhe, nimge thilsthivi. Namge illi halsinahanne sigolla! :(

    ReplyDelete

Hi,

Thanks for visiting 'Savi-Ruchi'. I would try my best to update the blog with new & interesting recipes.
Hope you had nice time in my blog & feel free to share your comments.
Visit Again!!

Featured Post

Noodles and Vegetables with Honey Ginger Sauce

Am I the only one who crave for noodles when sick with cold and sore throat? I love this noodles with honey-ginger sauce and it is perfe...