Wednesday, November 19, 2008

Tukudi | Shankar poli | Namak para

My mother used to usually prepare this during the summer holidays to make all the 3 or sometimes more of us happy & also during our short/long tours. Shankar poli was a must item prepared by my mom for my school trips. I used to tell her to prepare something else, but never understood why she was preparing this so many times.

I learnt the reason once I started cooking. The reason being, the preparation being so easy (her time, effort is saved), can prepare in bulk (to satisfy the entire school bus going on a vacation) & always turns out crispy & yummy.

Now, this has become an all time available evening snack at our home in Singapore. I prepare this, once a week & use it for the rest of the week.

Here is the bowl of thukudi for you, keep munching this.., & enjoy the recipe.

Ingredients:
2 cups all purpose flour/maida
1.5 tsp hot oil/ghee
1 tsp red chilli powder
1/2 tsp pepper + jeera powder
salt according to taste
oil for deep frying

Method:
  • Mix all the ingredients in a bowl (except the oil kept for deep frying).
  • Prepare a firm dough (dough should be little hard) with the ingredients using water & keep it aside for 10-15 mins.
  • Divide the dough into 4 equal portions & roll out each portion by dusting very little flour(like normal chapathi)
  • Cut the rolled out chapathi into small diamond shapes (like we cut normal barfi) & deep fry the thukkudi (cut diamond shaped) until golden brown.
  • Drain it on absorbant paper, allow it cool & store it in an air tight container. (This can be stored for upto 3 weeks)

4 comments:

  1. umm..yumm..you tempted me to pick those shankarpoli from the picture. We too love it, but it's looong time since I made them.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow simple and yummy recipe. Nice snack with evening tea/coffee.

    ReplyDelete

Hi,

Thanks for visiting 'Savi-Ruchi'. I would try my best to update the blog with new & interesting recipes.
Hope you had nice time in my blog & feel free to share your comments.
Visit Again!!

Featured Post

Noodles and Vegetables with Honey Ginger Sauce

Am I the only one who crave for noodles when sick with cold and sore throat? I love this noodles with honey-ginger sauce and it is perfe...