Saturday, November 15, 2008

Nugge Soppu Rotti (Indian bread with drumstick leaves)



Akki rotti (rice flour Indian bread) needs no introduction for Kannadigas (people who belong to Karnataka). I feel, there are more versions of akki rotti than the number of districts in Karnataka!!

My granny keeps reminding me of my childhood days & keeps saying that you used to love eating akki rotti when you were toddler. We were scared to give you because you didnot have much teeth, but you enjoyed eating :))

Now.., my mom can proudly say the same thing to my son. My son started eating akki rotti when we were giving him mashed rice. He used to love akki rotti, cant blame him, it is in his genes ;)

Here is the akki rotti filled with nutrients:

Ingredients:
  • 2 cups rice flour
  • 1 cup nugge soppu/drumstick leaves
  • 1/2 cup grated coconut
  • 1 onion finely chopped
  • 1 tsp jeera
  • 1 handful of cooked rice/leftover rice (optional, this makes the rotti soft)
  • salt according to taste

Method:
  • Wash the drumstick leaves & add all the ingredients listed above to a large bowl.
  • Add enough water & make a dough out of it. (The dough should be softer than the normal chapathi atta).
  • Take a greased paper/banana leaf or directly pat it on a tawa & cook on both sides.
  • Akki rotti s ready to be served. Serve it with ghee/butter, chutneypudi or chutney.
Below picture shows the detailed procedure for making akki rottis.

1 comment:

  1. Chapati in rice flour is new to me. The way you have explained your recipe is too good.

    ReplyDelete

Hi,

Thanks for visiting 'Savi-Ruchi'. I would try my best to update the blog with new & interesting recipes.
Hope you had nice time in my blog & feel free to share your comments.
Visit Again!!

Featured Post

Noodles and Vegetables with Honey Ginger Sauce

Am I the only one who crave for noodles when sick with cold and sore throat? I love this noodles with honey-ginger sauce and it is perfe...