Monday, November 3, 2008

Basale Tambli

I got red spinach (kempu basale) from NTUC today to cook basale tambli. They say, kempu basale is a very effective medicine for curing mouth ulcers.

This tambli can be prepared using normal basale(malabar spinach) also. Tambli turned out very tasty, unfortunate that I had cold, I had to restrict myself from eating. My husband enjoyed this tambli. He even drank it after finishing the dinner ;)

Let's see the recipe for this tambli.

Ingredients:

1/2 bunch of kempu basale finely chopped (use only the leaves & discard the stem)
1.5 tablespoons of grated coconut
1 medium sized onion chopped
1 tsp jeera/cumin seeds
1.5 cups of curd/yogurt ( buttermilk can also be used for this)
1 green chilli
1 tsp oil

For tempering:
1 tsp oil
1/2 tsp mustard seeds
1/2 tsp urad dal
a pinch of hing
1 red chilli

Method:
  • Heat oil in a pan, when oil is hot, add jeera.
  • When jeera becomes golden brown, add onions & saute for 45 secs. (Onions need not be sauted till golden brown)
  • Add chopped basale(spinach) leaves to it & saute for 2 mins. No need to cook the leaves completely by adding water. Saute till the leaves become soft. Allow it cool.
  • Make a paste of the spinach leaves (together with onion & jeera), coconut, green chilli by adding buttermilk/majjige/curd/yogurt
  • Now add salt according to taste & add enough curd. The tambli should have the consistency of thick milkshake.
  • Prepare the tadka/tempering. In a seperate pan, add oil, when oil is hot, add mustard seeds. When mustard seeds splutter, add urad dal, red chilli, hing & add this tadka to the hashi prepared.
  • Basale tambli is ready to be served.

Tamblis (various kinds) are consumed as an appetizer. If I try to recollect, festive food for the people from north canara, starts from tambli or appe huli & then followed by rasam/sambar.

6 comments:

  1. Hi Sushma, Thanks for visiting my blog and leaving that lovely comment. Appreciate it. YOu have some real indigineous recipes here..I will mark it for following :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I made cucumber tambli and doddapatre soppu tambli long back. Will make basale tambli now :) Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Excellent Sushma, I didnt know that the Red spinach cures mouth ulcers. Fantastic recipe, I will definitely try it. You have a wonderful blog and thanks for visiting my blog and leaving kind comments.

    ReplyDelete
  4. @ pragyan
    my pleasure & thanks a lot.

    @lg
    welcome dear

    @sukanya
    thank you & my pleasure

    ReplyDelete
  5. I just came across this on google & tried it minus the onion, excellent. Thanks for posting the recipe.
    Lakshmi

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks for the recipe. I just tried it minus the onion, tastes excellent!
    Lakshmi

    ReplyDelete

Hi,

Thanks for visiting 'Savi-Ruchi'. I would try my best to update the blog with new & interesting recipes.
Hope you had nice time in my blog & feel free to share your comments.
Visit Again!!

Featured Post

Noodles and Vegetables with Honey Ginger Sauce

Am I the only one who crave for noodles when sick with cold and sore throat? I love this noodles with honey-ginger sauce and it is perfe...