Saturday, October 25, 2008

gujje & hesaru kalu koddel (raw jackfruit & sprouted green gram curry)

It will be raining gujje recipes in my blog for few more days :)) I have 4kg of gujje got from the shop & am happy eating all of them (of course I'll let my family eat too)

Today I will be sharing the gujje koddel recipe.
Koddel is a tulu word for sambar. Tulu : Gujje English : Raw jackfruit Kannada : halasina kayi.
Before going to the recipe, I want to share a good news with you. Hurray!!, I got an award for my blog. Thanks a lot Lakshmi for giving me this award.




Now, time for noting the ingredients:
1 cup raw jackfruit (cut into medium sized pieces)

1/2 cup sprouted green gram/hesaru kalu.
3/4 cup grated coconut (fresh/frozen)
1 tsp cumin seeds/jeera
2.5 tsps dhania/coriander seeds

1/4th tsp methi seeds/fenugreek seeds
4-5 red chillis (paprika)
1 small lemon sized tamarind (soaked in water)
1 tsp powdered jaggery

for tempering:

1.5 tsp oil

1 tsp mustard seeds/saasive

1 pinch hing/asafoetida
3-4 curry leaves

Method:
  • Cook the gujje & sprouted moong dal until they are soft.
  • Dry roast the dhania, jeera, red chillis, methi seeds separately. Allow it cool
  • Grind the dry roasted masala along with the coconut & tamarind & make a smooth paste.
  • Add this masala paste to the cooked gujje & moong dal. Add little water if requred.
  • Add salt, jaggery & allow the sambar to boil.
  • In a small pan add oil, when oil is hot, add mustard seeds. When mustard seeds splutter, add hing, curry leaves. Add this tadka to the sambar prepared & mix well.
Note: The authentic gujje koddel will be without the sprouted green gram.

Below picture has rice, gujje koddel & kumbalakayi palya(pumpkin curry)

1 comment:

  1. wow..nice recipe with jackfruit..do we get raw one in mustafa?
    Btw. happy diwali!!

    ReplyDelete

Hi,

Thanks for visiting 'Savi-Ruchi'. I would try my best to update the blog with new & interesting recipes.
Hope you had nice time in my blog & feel free to share your comments.
Visit Again!!

Featured Post

Noodles and Vegetables with Honey Ginger Sauce

Am I the only one who crave for noodles when sick with cold and sore throat? I love this noodles with honey-ginger sauce and it is perfe...